Whether visiting a business, dining out, or even reading the comments people make on public blogs, I often wonder, “Are customers just an unwelcome interruption to many businesses and their staff?”
Why do I think this? Easy, there are businesses that make it appear this way. For example:
* I see cashiers texting and talking on their cell phones.
* I see work that is not very good but obviously considered “good enough.”
* I see sales people stop mid-sentence with me to answer their cell phone (sometimes without apology).
* I see “customer service” that isn’t customer oriented and isn’t service.
* I see employees that have not been well trained and management who apparently thinks that will work out well.
* I see businesses that won’t return important phone calls (exception allowed for not returning bad sales calls).
* I see so-called sales professionals that expect orders just for showing up.
All this makes me wonder: If you were a stranger to yourself, would you really enjoy doing business with you?
* Do you really hear what you say and ask your customers?
* Do you see how you really appear to others?
* Do you care? Does it show?
Who is the best person you know in a job or position similar to yours (maybe someone that you LOVE doing business with)?
* Are you better than that? If not, why not?
* What are you doing about it?
When it comes to our business, how well do you and your staff see yourself?