Big Words. Jargon. Lingo. TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms).
When striving to communicate for success, these are not your friend.
Why? Because most of the time the person you are talking to is not understanding you. Essentially, you are talking AT them instead of WITH them. And isn’t the point of talking to communicate an understandable message?
Why do people talk this way? A number of reason:
1. They think it impresses people… “See how smart I am!” Sorry. They just think you are a geek… or worse.
2. They have not developed any other ways of talking. I suggest they read more and also record themselves and listen back.
3. They don’t understand the perspective of the other person. This one takes effort but is important.
4. They don’t care about the other person. They are not important. Please see number 1 above again.
5. They were easily impressed when someone else did this and think its impressive. Sorry, that just suggests they have self esteem issues. See number 1 again!
Now granted, there are times where this type of language is useful and important, particularly when working or meeting with peers, mentors, bosses or others that use the same language. In these cases, the language of the business or project may be necessary and important. The language may even be a critical tool. But most of the time it isn’t and if you want your projects and deals to succeed you better understand that quick!
Language is interesting. It is a tool. HOW you use it can often tell more than WHAT you say. What does your language say about you?